Saturday 11 May 2013

Living Below the Line - Update



Day1
(photo of dinner missing as I swapped phones with my daughter)



Day 2



Day 3



Day 4


Day 5

It's been a week since I completed my Living Below the Line challenge.

I was at various points, hungry, tired and headachy - but never unbearably so.  I grew fed up of eating the same things over and over again and yearned for something tasty to eat.  I was acutely conscious of food all around me and my inability to snack on demand.  I realised that the value I place on food extends far beyond the need to survive.  Most of all I missed the restorative powers of a cup of tea.

Thanks to the generosity of family friends and work mates I have raised £249 for Oxfam - just £1 off my target.

It's been a week since I returned to my normal diet.  1.4 billion people are still living on £1 a day.

If you would like to sponsor me you may still do so here.

Thanks if you do.

2 comments:

  1. interesting project! But why no tea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rules of the challenge required me to account for the full cost of all the items I bought. I could have bought a packet of tea but even the smallest one would have contained more than I would have needed in 5 days so I decided to spend the money I would have wasted on food instead.

      This was another lesson I learned. Bulk buying is cheaper but only available to people who have sufficient funds to pay up front. Poor people pay heavily for buying in small quantities.

      Delete