Sunday 16 September 2012

If Music be the Food of Love ...


My Dad loved music.  He sang in choirs, beginning as a choir boy in the Scottish Episcopal Church and ending as a tenor in the Pune Choral Society in India.  In his last years his Morningside flat was always filled with music either on the radio or on a CD from his growing classical music collection.

When he died I inherited this library which my sister kindly had delivered to me in Bristol in several cardboard boxes.  I spent some time arranging them in historical, rather than alphabetical order, largely as a source of reference for my elder daughter in her Music GCSE.  However, although I have picked the odd one out from time to time, I haven't yet done what I promised myself I would do, that is to start at the beginning and listen to them all in sequence.

But this week, spurred on my my Classical Gas rehearsal this morning (we were singing Vivaldi and Bruckner), I am embarking on my classical music experience with Thomas Tallis, the Father of English Church Music.  The CD features Spem in Alium and Mass & Motets.  I am very fond of Tallis and was impressed by Exultate's performance of Spem in Alium at St George's earlier this year, so I know I'm off to a good start.


No comments:

Post a Comment