Sunday 23 September 2012

Harvest Thanksgiving


In addition to donations of non-perishable food for the Julian Night Shelter, we brought home-grown/home-made goods to be auctioned off after this morning's Harvest Festival service.  I dug out a jar of fruit and nut chutney from the back of my cupboard and supplemented it with a couple of jars of freshly made lemon curd.  My younger daughter produced the labels for my last batch of jam but she was out last night so I had to design my own.  They're not as accomplished as hers would have been but I'm reasonably impressed with my efforts.  

We came home with two portions of soup, a hunk of Cornish yarg and a marmalade cake, in addition to a dish of cold boiled new potatoes and a roast chicken carcass left over from last night's Harvest Supper.  The potatoes will be sauteed and covered in a spicy tomato sauce.  The carcass will be boiled for stock.

We've rediscovered Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries this weekend.  Last night we ate his pork steaks with vermouth and fennel and today it was slow roast lamb (without the chickpea mash) followed by plum crisp.  I've Sue over at The Quince Tree to thank for sending me back to this excellent book, worth reading for the quality of the prose as the recipes.  While out in town yesterday I popped in to Waterstones to take a peek at the second volume of his diaries which, as I suspected, has gone straight to the top of my Christmas present list!


No comments:

Post a Comment