Sunday 6 February 2011

What Larks!

It's been 18 years since I saw one of my old college friends. She celebrated her 50th birthday this weekend and another friend and I drove across to Surrey to attend the party. We got hopelessly lost between Gatwick airport and our Travelodge, and were an hour late in arriving, but it was well worth the effort to relive our experiences in Aberdeen 28 years ago. 28 years! It seems like only yesterday!

It's funny how one year can leave such an impression. Was it because it was only the one year (and an academic year at that)? Or because we were mainly strangers to the city and each other? Or because of the diversity of our backgrounds (newly graduated, through ex teachers to an RAF squadron leader)? Or because we were all girls? Or because of the number of public houses we frequented?

Who knows? Whatever it was I'll never forget the time I spent in the Granite City, nor the friends I shared it with.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you were a lot closer to me this weekend than you usually are. Which uni/college were you at?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in Horley which I'm now overly acquainted with on account of the number of times we drove round it looking for the Gatwick Travelodge!

    We were at the Aberdeen College of Commerce doing a post graduate bilingual secretarial course and we had a lot of fun together.

    ReplyDelete