Friday 14 January 2011

No Impact Week - Day 6 - Water

I've just calculated my water footprint using the Kemira calculator where I discovered that I'm almost bang on average for the UK, ie 3410 litres of water per day.

I was a bit disappointed that I wasn't below average, as I consider myself to be fairly economical in my use of water ie I take quick showers instead of baths, I switch off the tap when I'm brushing my teeth, I don't have a car to wash etc. However it turns out that hidden water, ie the water used to produce the food I eat and the beverages I consume, accounts for 3249 of the 3410 litres I go through per day.

By far the easiest way to reduce my water consumption would be to cut down on, or even eliminate, meat from my diet. It takes 15,500 litres of water to produce one kilo of beef. Chicken fares better at 3,900 litres. A vegetarian diet requires 2,000 litres of water per day compared to a non-vegetarian diet which requires 5,000 litres.

Even tea and coffee use more water than meets the eye. An average cup of coffee uses 140 litres of water . Fortunately for me a cup of tea 'only' uses 30 litres.

So, if I'm serious about trying to reduce my water footprint then I'm going to have to think very carefully about my 'virtual' water consumption.

What I feel grateful for today
The start of the weekend
The arrival of my quilting order
Cooking for a children's activity at church
Cups of tea to keep me going
Text from my daughter

No comments:

Post a Comment