Friday 21 January 2011

Fish Fight Back (1)

I've always thought I should eat more fish but have lacked the confidence to know what to buy or how to cook it. Besides which it is often quite expensive. However, after watching Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall's series on Channel 4 last week I was inspired not only to join his Fish Fight campaign but to have the courage to try out a few recipes.

I began on Sunday with a pair of Arbroath Smokies from the Tobacco Factory market. One of the advantages of buying fish in a market or from a fishmonger is that you can ask for advice on how to cook it. The stallholder suggested that they would taste good boned, dotted with butter and flashed under the grill. He was right. I added a couple of lightly toasted slices of Mark's oaty groaty bread and some diced beetroot. Delicious. So much so that I dived it before I remembered I'd meant to take a photograph.



A while ago Fishminster opened on our local high street. I've bought the odd piece of fish from time to time but I'm determined to so more often, maybe even once a week. Today I was after coley to make Jamie Oliver's Coley Korma. There was no coley for sale so I settled for a fillet of pollack. When I got home I discovered we didn't have any korma paste either, so I improvised with some Thai green curry paste. It was delicious, served with basmati rice and watercress.


4 comments:

  1. I must admit we don't eat much fresh fish these days. Definitively something to try to do more often, although some fish dishes do need a little time to prepare. I'm surprised you couldn't buy coley, we used to eat it fairly often in things like fish pie. I've got a lovely red thai fish curry it goes in well, so not so different from your dish, I suspect.

    Pollack is something I've yet to try.

    I think fish could be on the menu next weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure, but looking at wikipedia, it could be that pollock is the new name for coley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny you should say that because the fishmonger did say that chippies often advertise one as the other (I can't remember which way round!).

    There was coley for sale but it had been frozen at sea and I wouldn't have had time to defrost it.

    I read the Wikipedia entry on pollock and was amused by Sainsbury's rebranding of it as 'colin'.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps Sainsbury's would prefer us to go around calling it Pollachius virens. I hadn't realised Seelachs was made from it, too. I'm sure I was told it was saithe, one of it's many names.

    ReplyDelete