Monday 1 September 2008

Today is the first day of Mrs Green's Zero Waste September Challenge Week. While I haven't risen to the ultimate challenge, I have nonetheless pledged to do the following:



  • I will cancel any newspapers or magazines that I no longer read
  • I will offer one unwanted item on Freecycle
  • I will use washable cloths instead of disposable ones
  • I will make and send a recycled card instead of a shop bought one
  • I will start keeping and reusing old envelopes and packaging
This is a very timely dry run for my more ambitious attempt to achieve Zero (or as close as I can get to Zero!) Waste later this month. According to our local magazine Bristol is running a Zero Waste Challenge Week later this month, but despite searching the website and emailing the Council I have been unable to come up with any further details. Hey ho!


3 comments:

  1. Good luck with your challenge Gai. I try to 'do my bit' but I don't believe I will ever be able to achieve zero waste - perhaps that is being defeatist - and will be interested to see how you get on.

    A x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zero waste - it's frustrating how many things come with packaging we can't do anything with afterwards.

    Maybe you can offer consumer advice . . . it used to be easy to buy stickers for re-sealing envelopes. Now I can't find anyone who sells them . . . any ideas?

    Or is there a reason I haven't caught up with why they turn out not to be such a good thing after all?

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strawberry Jam Anne - Please don't feel defeatist. We may never achieve zero waste but any reduction is better than nothing at all.

    Susan Harwood - I remember those stickers, and the good news is that they are still available from a variety of sources. Google 're-use labels' and you will find a list of suppliers. Alternatively a piece of scrap paper and a dab of glue should do the trick, and at less cost!

    ReplyDelete