Wednesday 19 March 2008

Minghella

I was sad to hear of the death of Anthony Minghella. Not that I knew very much, if anything, about him as a person, but I have seen and admired several of his films, which is perhaps enough. Truly, Madly, Deeply is one of my favourite films, and not just because it was filmed in Bristol. It is an excellent depiction of a woman coming to terms with the death of a lover, encompassing the full range of emotions she experienced. Then there is the English Patient. I read the book and could not imagine how any director could do it justice. Yet he did, and so hauntingly. It is fitting that his latest offering, The No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency is being shown on the BBC this Easter weekend. I must not miss it.

In an interview on PM this evening Ralph Fiennes made frequent references to Minghella's humanity. What a wonderful tribute and so accurately borne out.

No comments:

Post a Comment